The National Law School Intellectual Property Unit has the following functioning Centres under the Guidance of Prof. T Ramakrishna.
- CENTRE FOR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RESEARCH AND ADVOCACY (CIPRA)
- DEPARTMENT FOR PROMOTION OF INDUSTRY AND INTERNAL TRADE (DPIIT) CHAIR ON INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS.
- INSTITUTE OF EXCELLENCE ON INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS AND STANDARDS
About Centre for Intellectual Property research and advocacy (CIPRA)
The Centre for Intellectual Property research and advocacy (CIPRA) was established with the objective of enhancing the intellectual property knowledge base and research capabilities of the country in general and the NLSIU in particular. The centre attempts to achieve these aims through a two-pronged strategy. Firstly, it attempts to disseminate information on intellectual property rights with a view to create awareness in the public in general. Secondly, it initiates research into relatively unexplored and novel areas.
CIPRA has developed a website www.iprlawindia.org which contains Indian and foreign courts judgments (along with relent headnotes), a number of well-researched and innovative articles, highlighting recent trends and developments in intellectual property. CIPRA seeks to highlight issues to focus on the IPR needs of developing countries.
Provide research and advisory services to government, non-government and other agencies, both national and international, in policy and implication.
Build IPR law database for effective networking between all stakeholders and IPR law community.
- Provide research and advisory services to government, non-government and other agencies, both national and international, in policy and implication.
- Build IPR law database for effective networking between all stakeholders and build IPR law community.
- To build functional and professional linkages with government agencies and non-government organizations in India as well as the South Asian Region and at International levels.
- To conduct Outreach programmes in the form of Workshops, training programmes, Roundtables, Conferences on various areas on IPR.
- Offers Post-Graduate Diploma in Intellectual Property Rights under Distance Education Program.
About The Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) on IPR
The Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Chair on Intellectual Property Rights at National Law School of India University, Bangalore under the Scheme for Pedagogy & Research in IPRs for Holistic Education and Academia [SPRIHA] is a central government department under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry in India. It is responsible for the formulation and implementation of promotional and developmental measures for the growth of the industrial sector, keeping in view the national priorities and socio-economic objectives.
We as a Centre are committed to the promotion of IPR awareness, felicitation for creation, protection, enforcement, and commercial exploitation of IPR, as well as the advancement of the National IPR Policy of the Government of India; and, have been constantly working in that direction.
About Institute of Excellence on Intellectual Property Rights and Standards
The Institute of Excellence on Intellectual Property Rights and Standards was established on 18th March 2016 to undertake the research on IPR and Standards. The technological advancements taking place are not possible without standardization, particularly in the field of information and technology where there is a need for interoperability. These Standards are set by Standard Setting Organizations.
At the Institute of Excellence on Intellectual Property Rights and Standards, we undertake study on IPR policies of SSOs and the latest developments in other jurisdictions. Further, engage in conducting panel discussions on the IPR policies of SSOs and advise them in this regard. The focus is on tracking the latest developments in the field of Standard Essential Patents.